Info on round route nossob to mabuebhueb to nossob

A Forum to ask questions and share advice that pertain to self drive, self-sufficient overland safaris to Botswana. Questions about border procedures, National Parks, Lodges and destinations welcome.
jayefe

Info on round route nossob to mabuebhueb to nossob

Postby jayefe » Wed May 25, 2011 7:37 pm

Anyone who could give me info on the round trip route from nossob to mabua area then back to nossob ( as per veronica roodt map );
what camps to use ; recommendations for minimum number of days ; safety ; vehicle etc ;
your assistance is much much appreciated.

georgeb

Re: Info on round route nossob to mabuebhueb to nossob

Postby georgeb » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:05 am

jayefe wrote:Anyone who could give me info on the round trip route from nossob to mabua area then back to nossob ( as per veronica roodt map );
what camps to use ; recommendations for minimum number of days ; safety ; vehicle etc ;
your assistance is much much appreciated.

Hi

We did this trip back in July of 2009. There are basically two routes that you can take e.g from Nossob via Matopi 1 or 2, Bosobogolo, Mapayathutlwa onto Mabua - about 190 km through fairly thick sand and then from Nossob via Mosomane onto Mabua - about 160 km. This is a challenging road and you may only use this with prior booking - I also think you are not allowed to tow anything on this route.

Our trip was cut short due to trouble we encountered on route from Tshabong to Mabua but I would suggest camping at Mabua or Mapayathutlwa camp for at least 3 days. From here you can explore a vast area. Just remember this is lion territory and I advise not to sleep in a ground tent. Close to Mapayathutlwa there is the Old Scout camp and here you can refill with water - for shower purposes - not for drinking.

From here I will spend one night at Matopi 1 or 2 and then move on to Nossop. It is not advisable to attempt covering the distance from Mabua to Nossob in one day.

You can read our trip report online at http://www.Nissan4x4.co.za/GH_ShowArticle.asp?HID=77 - just in Afrikaans.

Regards,

jayefe

Postby jayefe » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:58 am

Thank you very much for your feedback ; it is much appreciated.

georgeb

Postby georgeb » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:01 pm

Pleasure, please keep us posted on your preparations and the actual trip.

Regards,,

jayefe

Postby jayefe » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:31 am

We are departing to upington on the 13th sept ;stay at nossob on the 14th then drive to matopi1 on the 15th ; mabua pan #4 from 16th to 19th ; back at matopi 2 on the 19th; leave to nossob on the 20th ;still have in my permit space for a car and 3 people (friends from jhb could not make it for th entire mabuasehube trip ) ; back in the kgalagadi will stay at nossob , grootkolk , bitterpan and mata mata .

For the mabua trip how much diesel do you estimate I should cater for ?( given the heavy sand )? just to drive there and back to nosson about 400 km without game drives ...; we are staying in our canvas bow tents ; no other alternative...
Rgds! Joao Felizardo ; East London .

georgeb

Postby georgeb » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:12 pm

jayefe wrote:For the mabua trip how much diesel do you estimate I should cater for ?( given the heavy sand )? just to drive there and back to nosson about 400 km without game drives ...;

We had an Isuzu 300 TD in our group - consumption in the sand was 7km/l.

jayefe wrote:we are staying in our canvas bow tents ; no other alternative...

Might be a nervous period when a lion roars close by.....

jayefe

Postby jayefe » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:34 pm

We have completed the trip ; I have sent you the summary trip report to your direct email; Ialso copied the admnistrator of this forum since I have not been able to attach the word file of the trip report.
Regards,

Return to “Botswana”